The weather was warm enough this week to get the sap flowing. We finished tapping the old sections (17,500) and the tapping of the new section is well underway (1500). The sugar content of the sap is 2.6, which is high. We spent the week checking tubing and mainlines for leaks and digging them out of the snow. Our first boil was on 2/21 and we filled ¾ of a drum. The sap continued to run well all week and we filled drum number 6. Last night we collected 8000 gallons of sap and are currently boiling.
Below are two pictures. The first shows the teeth marks and source of the leak. The second in is the same tree with a new drop. Sap is collecting in the drop line and moving slow.