- Melt the butter, and set aside to cool.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and the cooled butter, and then stir everything together until well incorporated- do not overmix.
- Working the dough with your hands, place onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into 12 pieces and shape into small 1” balls.
- Fill a deep, sturdy pot one-third full with oil (should be about 2-3 inches of oil) and heat to 160C/320F.
- Cook the donut-holes 3 or 4 at a time, for about four minutes on the first side, and one minute on the second, or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain the donuts on a rack.
- Place the maple sugar on a large plate, and toss the hot donut-holes in the sugar, or smother in pure maple syrup.