- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place the pie dough in a 10-inch tart pan. Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork several times and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Line the pie shell with parchment paper. Fill at least two-thirds with pie weights of choice.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove parchment paper and pie weights. Continue baking until the edges are slightly browned, approx 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
Filling and Glaze:
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, half of the orange zest, and the granulated maple sugar. Be sure the strawberries are well coated. Let strawberries drain for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix well the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar or maple sugar, the remaining orange zest, lemon juice and the vanilla. Keep refrigerate until the tart is assembled.
- Once the strawberries have drained, remove the excess liquid into a small saucepan. Add a the balsamic vinegar and basil and bring to a boil on medium high heat until the liquid has reduced to the consistency of syrup. Discard the basil and let cool.
- To assemble the tart, spread the mascarpone mixture over the bottom of the shell. Arrange the strawberries however you like on top of the mascarpone mixture. Using a pastry brush, gently brush on the balsamic glaze and serve.
*Recipe adapted from www.simplyrecipes.com, with thanks!