- In a medium bowl combine the diced zucchini, onion and red bell pepper and stir in salt.
- Fill bowl with cold water till it just covers the vegetables and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours and maximum of 10 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and drain and rinse thouroughly. Set aside for time being.
- In a small, heavy-bottomed pot, combine the maple sugar, celery seeds, mustard seeds, peppercorn, dried dill (if using fresh wait to add at the end of cooking) red pepper flakes, and cider vinegar over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and add the vegetables. Stir, and bring to a boil once more. Remove from heat.
- Scoop the vegetables and its juice into a 8 oz jelly jar, leaving just a little room at the top.
- Add fresh dill (if using).
- Once cooled, cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
TIP: This relish tastes best after “marinating” in the fridge for at least a day.
NOTE: If you'd like to can this relish for the winter, follow a standard canning protocol often found on canning jar packaging. This recipe can easily be doubled or quadrupled!